Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just a quick note

As you all know I've not felt all that well lately. These headaches are getting kind of tiresome. They leave me feeling very lazy and listless. So, I end up being mostly useless. Not a good thing. However, there have been some interesting things happening just the same. I was surprised to see my report on the tsunami effort in the June issue of the Ensign. The writer who interviewed me left LDS Philanthropies out of the story which was kind of disappointing, but it was helpful to Humanitarian Services just the same. If you look carefully you'll see that they did give me photo credits. (Well, okay, that 6 point type is pretty hard to see. The idea is to have it there for legal reasons, but they are also not concerned if you don't see it.)

But, hey, I had a meeting with the general manager of Church publications and the managing editor of the Ensign last week. It was something of a break-through meeting and the door was opened for us to have a long-term relationship with the Ensign---meaning stories about the work we do will become a fairly regular happening. I met with a reporter from the Ensign this week and we are already starting to work on the next story. That's something that a year ago we would have thought impossible. But now it's going to happen, on a somewhat regular basis.

It appears I've been tagged. So, here is my best shot at a response:

3 joys: Family (I'll bet that surprises you), being creative, sharing.
3 fears: Serious illness (affecting anyone in the family), messing something up at work, Suzie meeting a bear when I'm with her.
3 goals: Finish strong in preparation for retirement from work, complete the yard, take a long road trip with Suzie in the Mustang.
3 current obsessions: Serving well in the Church (teaching right now), finding time to play golf, taking photos. And, completing the remodeling of the house!!
3 surprising facts: Have I got any? Hmmm. I have this itch to explore more of this great big world, starting with places fairly close to home and including Alaska. (I'd don't know that you'll find that surprising.) I've shaken hands (or spent time with) each of the prophets since David O. McKay. I also attended General Conference when George Albert Smith was President. Yea, I'm that old. And last, I enjoy going for rides with the top down. (I'm sorry, not much in the way of surprises here.)

4 comments:

rhondas view said...

dad! you did the tag! and i'm sooo glad. even if we're not surprised at the answers- the way it's answered gives insight that leaves me feeling closer to you. thank you!

how exciting about the ensign. it's been a long time coming- but yea! they finally caught on!!!
and i'm puliing out my ensign to check out that 6 pt. font. congratulations!!!

love you- and hoping and pryaing that you feel better. :)

Dani said...

Thanks for the update, Dad! I loved reading your answers for the tag (I started something good here!) and I am so glad that you played along! I didn't know some of that stuff actually, like about all of the prophets hands that you have shaken. I knew you had been around many of them, but that added knowledge is really cool!

I'm also really excited to hear about the Ensign, and I am also going to go find mine and check it out. Great job!!

Lastly, I sure hope you find the answers soon to all of the concern with your health. You are in our prayers, and I hope you feel better soon!!! Love you!

Utah Dancer said...

Yea! Thanks for doing the tag! I loved it. And I didn't know you had spent time with all those prophets. You are so cool.

Congrats about the interview with the Ensign people--you always have a way with people don't you? And now you've opened another door...it's wonderful.

I just got my Ensign so now I am going to run and look. Love you, Dad.

Praying for a no-big-deal day for you today. I know I will see you tomorrow and hear all about it. But until then, I am thinking of you today.

rhondas view said...

just waiting for you to post again... hummm...