Sunday, May 2, 2010

50 Year Anniversary Today



What, you may wonder, was happening to me 50 years ago today of any significance. Well, I was spending my first full day in the mission home in Salt Lake City. This was before the days of the MTC, and it was a week of intense training prior to shipping off to any mission in the world.

I had gone to the mission home the night before, checked in and slept there so I was ready to go the next morning. Philo Sylvester from Mesquite, Neveda was my companion. There were four of us going to the New England Mission and I was named the group leader.

I was set ordained a missionary May 4th by Elder Marion G. Romney, an event that Mom, Dad, and Grandmother Durfey came up to SLC to share with me.

Mother's Day was that following Sunday which was our last day in the mission home. We held classes until about 2 pm, then we had a testimony meeting in Barrett Hall. The family came up for that along with Lonnie and some friends.

I rode home with the folks. I had a cousin, Kenny, that asked for a blessing because he was ill so Dad and I went and gave him one. Dad gave me a blessing the next morning and I was on the Union Pacific train headed for Chicago and then to Boston at 8:25 that morning, May 8th. I had a huge lump in my throat all that day that wouldn't go away, but it was also exciting to think about what lay ahead as we were now missionaries, ready or not.

5 comments:

Utah Dancer said...

I did not know you were set apart by Marion G Romney! wow! It is too crazy how time passes. I am so glad you went on a mission, look how it has blessed all of us!!

Ryan Taylor said...

Really enjoyed this historical snippet from you life. Nice looking photo too. Proud you decided to serve even when it wasn't the thing every young man was expected to do.

Dani said...

What a great story, and what a great example you have set for us all! I loved reading this and I hope you will continue to write about different memories to share on your blog. It's a great way for us to learn more about you! I can't wait to show my kids too. It's important for them to see what good genes they come from!

BJ said...

This is really nice dad. I look forward to hearing more like this. What a good looking kid you were too! ;-)

rhondas view said...

I LOVED this and would love to read more of your mission experiences. I'll have to let Elder B read it too. As I was reading I could only feel how important it is to write in a journal so these amazing details don't get lost- I must do better! Love you Dad, and thank you!!! :)