Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm Still Learning; the last comes first, etc.





It's been long enough since I last tried to blog that I had forgotten that the first comes last and the last comes first. Trying to remember how to correct typo's etc is still on the learning curve. But if you can read through the errors and still get the message I'm grateful.
I thought I'd add a few more photos to this posting, but now they will come first, not last. I would have also liked to have explained the photos some, but didn't get that done either.
Susan Puls, who is in the Launch with Howard and I is the woman (a retired surgeon) who was and is responsible for finding and arranging for all of the LDS medical volunteers that will work on the ship during its four month long mission. During that time it will visit 7 ports of call in the Caribbean, Columbia, Panama, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. We went aboard shortly after the ship arrived in Dominican Republic after having been in Haiti. Most of the stories we heard were experiences they had had in Haiti.

The first photo above is obviously me aboard the ship as we were getting ready to leave for home.

The second photo is a group shot of some of the LDS people that we worked with on the ship. They were all volunteers who had given up vacation time and more in order to participate. Even the two military guys volunteered for the mission. The biggest guy in uniform is a vetenarian who worked with farmers on shore to deworm and innoculate their animals. He was a fun guy to be around.

The third shot is from the helicopter as we were headed for the ship the first day we went aboard.

The last one is a photo I took from the Launch as we left the ship to go in to see how things were going in the clinics that were set up in town. The clinics served as offices for those doctors that provided dental work, gynocology, pediatrics, eye care and a variety of other medical services.

I hope the photos in the previous blog are self explanatory.

Anyway, I thought I would get this much today and see what I could do tomorrow.

3 comments:

rhondas view said...

okay, i ammend my previous statement- i wanted to be there, but for obvious reasons (that would be the berthing- claustrophobia- and the waves- motion sickness)
i'm pouting now.
lol...

rochelle said...

Cool. I really think I might like to do something like this someday. Neat that you got to see it all in action.

Utah Dancer said...

So cool, dad! I know I couldn't do the ship thing, but I think I have always known you have great sea legs!