Photos:
Top, me on Grandpa's Taylor's property in Nauvoo.
Second, the Joseph and Hyrum statue out fron of the Temple.
Third, Rhonda, Taylor, and Suzanne at the well just outside of the Carthage jail.
Bottom: Another view of the statues and the Temple.
Even though most of the family has already heard something of our Nauvoo trip, I wanted to add a note or two of my own. For me, going to Nauvoo had many interesting facets. There was the joy of going with Rhonda, Taylor, and Emily. To be able to spend time with them while visiting this place that has such great importance in our collective Church history as well as our personal family history. There was also the desire to find the property where Two-greats Grandpa Allen Sr. and Three-greats Grandmother Elizabeth lived. I knew they had property in Nauvoo that was side by side with each other, but I wanted to locate that property and take some photos of it if I could. I had their lot numbers, so I just needed to find out where those lots were.
I also wanted to find the site where Three-greats Grandfather William was buried. When my parents were in Nauvoo on their mission they looked for the site, but were not able to identify the exact site---even though they were very close, but didn't know it. In addition, because I was involved in helping to raise the money for the creation and placement of the Joseph and Hyrum statue that now stands in front of the temple, I wanted to see it. The statue represents the moment that Joseph and Hyrum, riding off to Carthage, stopped for a moment to talk. Joseph told Hyrum that he didn't have to go with him, but Hyrum, knowing the danger, refused to stay and let Joseph go alone. It was a very tender moment, and I felt as if I was there with them at that moment as I stood there by the statue. It was a very emotional experience for me. What an amazing devotion Hyrum had to Joseph. Truly, they were brothers in every sense.
Another thing I wanted to see was the Temple itself. It is a beautiful edifice and I could gain some sense of how the Saints must have felt has they started walking down the street towards the river.
Almost everything I wanted to see and do, we were able to do. (I sense another trip to Nauvoo will be in our future plans.) We had a wonderful time with Rhonda and kids. Those memories will remain with me forever. They were great travel companions, and always kept things interesting. The Nauvoo property was just on the very edge of town. Prime stuff. One of the above photos is of me standing on one end of that property, but you can't begin to see how large the property is, or how beautiful. And, we also found the property where Grandfather William is buried. There is no marker there. It's just a corn field. But I was glad to know where it was. The stories about these grandparents are inspiring to me and I was glad to have had the opportunity to walk where they walked and to see a little of the land they so loved. Their dreams of building Zion there were dashed, but they faithfully moved on and followed the Prophet. I think of their sacrifices often and I thank the Lord for their willingness to lay the foundation for us to build on.

4 comments:
I loved reading this! I am so glad you writing these experiences down! Love you, dad!
i ditto candice's comment- it is WONDERFUL reading your thoughts regarding our trip. i haven't begun to put my post together about nauvoo- but it WILL happen. love you!
ps- i had to delete the last comment when i discovered a typo. :)
I'm so glad that you are doing this! I loved reading it too! Thank you so much for sharing. Love you!
Post a Comment